Accomplishments & Goals
We organized our union around a simple idea: that every employee should have the opportunity to participate in making decisions that affect her or his working life. Together we can ensure that, as individuals and as a union, we are able to represent ourselves confidently in our relationship with Harvard. We believe in the importance of the University's educational mission and in the essential role of Harvard workers in fulfilling that mission. We believe that a union should support workers in making flexible arrangements with their employer. We also believe that when we listen carefully to each other and when we support each other, we make the Harvard Community richer for everyone.Some of our accomplishments Our negotiation goals
- To support every member of the Harvard community in learning and professional development, on individualized paths and throughout our careers;
- To raise our economic standing, maintaining a strong salary increase program that recognizes skill development and longer service, and gives us an opportunity for a dignified, middle-class living standard;
- To develop innovative benefit programs, finding new ways to address the basic needs of health care, housing, child care, and retirement;
- To make our work environment kinder, more respectful, and more democratic through training of managers and teams, and innovations in organizational design;
- To assure every union member of an ongoing place in our working community, through a Work Security program which places laid-off staff into new jobs without a loss of income.
- And, to carry out our important discussions with the University in a way that builds trust and respect among members of our community as much as possible.